READ ALOUD TIPS
- Select a book that you like and practice reading it.
- Show the cover, introduce the author and illustrator.
- Ensure your audience sits close to you and close to each other.
- Enjoy yourself! Throw yourself into it, so you are never boring!
- Welcome everyone with roving eye-contact on the first few lines.
- Be expressive and have fun. Feel the emotions.
- Don't rush, speak slowly and loud enough for everyone to hear.
- Engage the listener through, "Repeat after me," gestures and other physical movement.
- Ask questions as you read, "What do you think will happen next?"
- Make the phrases into beautiful, lilting, up and down music.
- Change vocally; high/low, loud/soft, fast/slow.
- Speak the verbs with animation, even though they look boring.
- Fall in love with the pause.
- Say goodbye to everyone with roving eye-contact on the last lines.
- Speak the last lines v-e-r-y slowly.
- Don't speak right after you have finished. Allow a few seconds of total silence for "The feather to fall to the floor."
- Discuss the 5 W’s: Who, what, when, where, why
- Discuss Sequence: Beginning, middle and end of the story
**CREDITS: FROM MEM FOX AND OTHERS COMPILED BY READ TO ME INTERNATIONAL